Susan Stewart on writing a book to validate her existence, finding her way back to comedy by way of the government, and what you should and should not google
Have a Listen!
My Favorite Moments
“Comedy is tragedy + time. There is humor in almost everything. It might take a little digging or a little bit of time but it’s there.”
“Sometimes when we think we are lost or off our path or life has gone to hell-in-a-handbasket…if we give it time, life finds a way to ease us back into the truth and get us back on track.”
“If you are ever feeling alone in a struggle, Google it. There is so much out there.” (My addition…but whatever you do, do NOT google gout.)
“I’m a lot of a lot of things.”
What’s in this Episode
I usually cover a lot of heavy stuff in this show, but as always my main goal is to bring out the light in any dark situation. Today, let’s just stand in the light for a little bit; let’s laugh for therapy’s sake and roll with whatever crazy, zany hijinks the universe wants to throw at us.
This episode is all about why finding the light in the dark is essential to our personal well-being. It’s time to talk comedy.
Humor is healing. This is the anthem of my guest Susan Stewart. Susan is a Toronto-based comedian and speaker who has walked her path of darkness but has come out laughing. Susan will be the first to tell you that even the most uncomfortable or unfortunate circumstances can become humorous with time. The real, deep, heavy topics that most folks want to skirt around are her comedy bread and butter. I love that she plays so lightheartedly with the duality of comedy and tragedy. What she creates with her stories is something truly beautiful and truly human.
In this episode, Susan and I commiserate about so many things including how hard it can be to parent our children sometimes, struggles with mental health, and the strength of the communities that rally around us.
Above all else, we will celebrate the fact that the darkness has not won. Light wills out and life finds a way. You ready to laugh?
Listen in to hear Susan and I talk about:
- Feeling amazing on the outside (thanks to the Crisis Diet) but falling apart on the inside.
- Why humor is such an important component in telling our truths.
- Standup comedy, mental health, and the ability to stop blaming external circumstances.
- Susan’s windy path back to humor by way of working for the government.
- Misadventures in parenting and Susan’s hilarious re-enactment of her partner’s daughter.
- What prompted Susan to write a book. HINT: It’s not what I was expecting!
- How Susan helped me name who I wanted to be based on what I liked to do as a child..I’m a dabbler! And I LOVE that about myself.
- Susan’s advice for those who might be struggling and feeling alone.
Resources + People mentioned
More From Susan
Susan Stewart is a comedian, author, and professional speaker who has spent the last 15 years entertaining and inspiring people to see the lighter side of life. Susan is the author of Reaching The Laugh Resort, Your New Lenses Are Ready For Pick Up: A Guide To Seeing The Lighter Side Of Life, You Gotta Laugh: Wit And Wisdom About Not Taking Life (Or Yourself) Too Seriously. You can learn more about Susan at susanstewart.ca.